The Student News Site of Jewish Leadership Academy

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

Miami Open
Miami Open
May 8, 2024
Chai Lifeline
May 8, 2024

Girl’s Flag Football

Aviva Zippin

The newest addition to the JLA sports lineup is the girls flag football team. In their inaugural season, 13 students from both the high school and middle school came together to compete with schools across South Florida. The team was formed by Coach Mallory Erickson, currently a star member on a competitive flag football team, Category 5. For the past few weeks the team has been practicing Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in preparation for their season. Over this time, they have coalesced into a thriving team with a tenacious drive to win. 

The Jaguar’s flag football team went into their first game with a single achievement in mind; they were set on scoring a touchdown. For most of the team this would be their first ever step onto a competitive football field. The opportunity to play in a competitive league gave these new players a real challenge to overcome. One of the team members, Yaffa Zippin, a 6th grader, in an interview following their first game reported, “I thought that playing on the field was different and a challenge. The field we practiced on was smaller than at the game and yet I felt exhilarated to be in competition.” She went on to say that it was a “thrilling experience,” and “a great way to demonstrate teamwork.”

It was March 19th, a warm Tuesday afternoon, when the JLA Jaguars first stepped foot on the competition’s field. Before the game, the team ran warm ups and passing drills to prepare. Although the opposing team was larger and older than the Jaguars, they stood tall when the whistle blew. This indicates the start of the first game. The ball was snapped and the game began. Shortly into the first quarter possession switched and the opposing team scored a touchdown. However, the game was still early and the Jaguars did not lose hope, when the ball returned to JLA, they were ready to even the score. On the next play, the Girl’s Flag Football team did something remarkable: scoring their first ever touchdown! Furthermore, they did something the team in opposition couldn’t pull off: scoring the extra point after a touchdown. The offense showcased some great menuevers and the defense truly worked their hardests and pulled out some amazing tackles.

In the second game on Sunday, March 31st the team showed elaborate plays and demonstrated a grit that was only budding in the first game. The team scored its very first Safety (Lilah Sister Klug, 6th) and punt return (Arielle Gad, 9th). These are unique menuevers that are not possible in every game. The defense was also on point in this game thwarting almost every attempt at advancement for the other team. This season has been full of achievements from the first first down to the touchdowns. 

The Girls Flag Football team has one final game on Tuesday, April 2nd and with a little more grit and determination this will be an ultimate ending to the season. A member on the team, Amorayah, 9th grade, commented, “One of the best parts about being on the team is the connections I’ve built with the other girls. It is really great to know that you are surrounded by a team supporting you throughout game play and life.” As the team likes to say, “Jaguars on three! One! Two! Three! Jaguars!”