The Student News Site of Jewish Leadership Academy

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

OPEN MIC NIGHT
OPEN MIC NIGHT
May 22, 2024
Miami Open
Miami Open
May 8, 2024
Chai Lifeline
May 8, 2024

We Are JLA

JLA is an extremely diverse community with students from all over the world.  We have students from Britain, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Russia, around the U.S, and so many more locations. This brings up a very important question amongst the students and teachers. Why did they choose JLA? I interviewed teachers and students all around campus in order to answer this. 

The common thread amongst teachers was that they had never had the opportunity to be part of creating a school from the beginning.The thought of curating a curriculum for kids that were as excited to learn as they were to teach seemed like an amazing opportunity. It gives teachers an opportunity to grow, and students to inquire and explore without fear. It is an opportunity to create the type of environment that will develop the future generation. The school is also very keen on keeping the students close to their roots and teachers are very excited to participate in this journey. They are very excited to help the students figure out who they are and what will be their future purpose. 

For students, what seemed incredible was the prospect of being able to create a space to learn in a competitive and tailored curriculum. Having a strong curriculum not only in academics, but also in judaics is truly a dream. Being challenged by not only your teachers, but also your peers creates a distinct type of environment.  Then there is Israel and  the excitement and bonds that came with it. Although only the upper school students were lucky enough to go and create a bond by being together 24 hours a day for an entire month, the 6th and 7th graders are looking forward to their turn.

JLA has one feeling in common between teachers and students. The feeling of excitement. Excitement of being the first, of creating a curriculum, of opening a new school, of meeting new people, and, in a way, of being guinea pigs.  This excitement radiates daily throughout the campus. Everyday something new, adapting together as teachers and students and administrators to create something phenomenal for students who truly care.