The Student News Site of Jewish Leadership Academy

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

OPEN MIC NIGHT
OPEN MIC NIGHT
May 22, 2024
Miami Open
Miami Open
May 8, 2024
Chai Lifeline
May 8, 2024

Find Your Groove

Have you ever heard the latest hit on Spotify and just felt like dancing? Or that song that reminded you of a happy moment in your life? Music is magical! And we can see its magic work right here at JLA as part of the music classes offered as electives. Nevertheless, what does music really do for us at school and in life? Does it have the power to change our world? Let’s find out!

At JLA, we have an elective called  “Groove Workshop”, taught by Mr. Barandiaran. It’s all about being exposed to every aspect of music, from learning an instrument to composing your own songs. “My goal is to help you out in exploring your creativity, and improving your confidence, so you’ll be able to communicate your ideas and emotions through music” says Mr. Barandarian about his class.

Clearly it’s true that music is good for your mind. One day, you could hear a really fun song that makes you feel energetic and changes your mindset. Or you could be having a bad day, and playing music can cheer you up and change your perspective on things. As Mr. Barandiaran puts it: “The important part is to be able to communicate your emotions and feelings through music. That is what makes it unique. The true craft of an artist goes way beyond the mental and practical prowess”.

Music is also good for your soul. Because music can be played together, it’s like a sports team: you get to bond with other people while sharing your passion. Per Mr. Barandiaran, “Music can help you connect with the deeper thoughts and feelings that you have in yourself and never were able to explore, which will help you with your social experiences.” Music is “a way to create the best environment for you to connect and create some amazing art, while having fun, of course!”

And here’s a secret: colleges love it when you’re in a band or play an instrument. It’s not just about grades. It shows you’ve got discipline, teamwork, and a love for arts. So, all those hours practicing? They’re not just for the school concert, but for the future, too!

Music plays such a big part in our lives that we don’t even realize that it has become part of our history and culture. Every country, every place has its musical style. Acoustic guitar or warm sounds can remind us of Mexico. Beethoven’s music reminds us of Europe and a special period in time. And guess what – music can also heal people! In some hospitals, they use music to calm patients in pain and they end up healing faster. It’s like music has this superpower and we don’t realize how much we need it. On this topic, Mr. Barandiaran adds: “We as musicians are only bridges that allow to connect music with other people. In the end, it is a selfless act and that is why it is so pure. By all these reasons and more, music has this mysterious and yet omnipotent ability to affect us deep down.”

Music impacts us in so many ways! It is magic for our minds, bodies, and souls. It helps us in school, prepares us for college, and ties us closer to our classmates. And the best part? Through music, you can travel the world, learn its history, and even heal people. So, whether you’re into drums, guitar, or just singing in your shower, maybe it’s time to join Mr. Barandiaran’s Groove Workshop elective at JLA!