The Student News Site of Jewish Leadership Academy

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

OPEN MIC NIGHT
OPEN MIC NIGHT
May 22, 2024
Miami Open
Miami Open
May 8, 2024
Chai Lifeline
May 8, 2024

Coach Ganser and the JLA Athletics

Chelsea Werde

Here at JLA we pride ourselves in having a strong P.C. (physical conditioning) program. A core belief of the school is that in order to do mental work, one must do physical work as well. Our director of Athletics, Coach RC Ganser, is doing an excellent job here at JLA with managing all things athletics related. A big part of this is the renovations of the gym and the completion of the weight room. 

Coach Ganser is in his first official year as a physical education teacher and department chair. He is originally an English major and has taught English for twenty-eight years before now. He decided to come to physical education due to two different factors: him being an athletic administrator for fifteen years of his career and his previous experiences coaching seven different sports. So When Coach Ganser was approached by the school to be head of not only the P.C. classes, but also competitive sports, he said yes.  

When it comes to the gym, the entire team, including Coach Ganser, is working very hard to get all the renovations completed. The original issue with the gym is actually occurring outside the gym. Water is coming in through the foundation and causing the floor to rot. The architects and construction workers are addressing that issue first. Once this problem is solved, then they can fix the floor. In order to do this they will strip the gym and re floor it. Then they will paint, lacker, and seal the floor. The estimated time frame for the completion of the gym is after winter break. 

In regard to the weight room, it is almost complete. In total there will be twelve machines. As of right now there are four functioning and available machines. Each one of the missing eight machines has two different roles. These new machines are mostly pulley based and work with pushing and pulling movements. There will be two primary uses for the weight room. One will be with the P.C. classes where there is a two week unit on how to use the machines properly. The other use will be for athletic teams preparing for their seasons. The weight room will be available to all students under supervision. If there is a student who wants to train on their own after school, it can be arranged with a coach.