The Student News Site of Jewish Leadership Academy

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

The Inkwell

OPEN MIC NIGHT
OPEN MIC NIGHT
May 22, 2024
Miami Open
Miami Open
May 8, 2024
Chai Lifeline
May 8, 2024

The Jaguars Soccer Team

Gil Perl

The Jaguars Soccer Team 

It’s only been a few months since we moved into our new JLA campus. That also meant the start of the sports season. Since we moved in late, the choice was limited, but it’s been a fun ride watching our girls’ soccer team come together. Who would’ve thought that soccer – a sport some of us had never even played before – would become the highlight of our fall?
I’ve interviewed some of my soccer teammates, and let me tell you, we’ve got some stories to share as it’s been quite the adventure!

The Tough Part

Let’s start by telling the truth – playing soccer at JLA isn’t just fun and games. Many of my teammates didn’t quite expect this kind of pace. Coach Martinez takes things very seriously. The sprints and drills are no joke, and we almost thought that we had signed up for boot camp instead! Some said it took them a while to get used to wearing shin guards and cleats. Some others have stories of how close they got to fainting on the field after running sprints or doing push-ups. Also, you will get kicked, so expect to be soared and bruised. And let’s not even start on how we look and smell after practice – it’s a miracle that our moms still let us come home!

Another struggle, as mentioned by my teammates, is that Sunday practice is not always easy to join as they have some family plans. One suggested that the sunday practice sessions should be scheduled well in advance so they can plan around to 

]participate. But most have adapted well to the Sunday morning schedule and like that it ends before (or a little after) lunch time. 

Now, for the fun part!

Ask any of my teammates and they will tell you that despite the challenges, we’re having a blast. All the teammates I interviewed love the vibe and the bonding happening at the team level. Coach Martinez suggested we share lunch together in the cafeteria to get closer and we have since formed our own lunch group! At practice, we all laugh when we miss and when we fall. A few days back, just for fun, we played against an improvised JLA boys’ team in the rain and the dark. At the end of the game a false alarm went off that made us run in all directions to find shelter. These are the types of memories we all keep of soccer practice.

We all agree that the girls’ soccer team would not be the same without coach Martinez being who he is. He’s strict but we all love him for it. We all had a somewhat rocky start. We knew nothing about soccer and Coach Martinez toughened us up and turned us into a passionate soccer army. In his own words, “pain is just weakness leaving the body” This team is fun beyond everything we had imagined. We are now preparing for our first 5 on 5 tournament in West Palm Beach. Wish us good luck! And wait until you see our new Jaguar uniforms and track suits. See you around the soccer field!